[lbo-talk] Re: Iran and the Left in a Moral Snare

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Feb 7 18:53:01 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> -This is really going nowhere, but I'll conclude by pointing out that -you're trying to get Israel off the hook by citing British imperial -practice and a quasi-fascist political party. Doesn't that embarrass -you?

Not at all, since I'm not trying to get Israel "off the hook." I've repeatedly said Israel's racism and occupation should be globally condemned. Just as I condemn the BJP and British imperial policy. This started with folks asserting that Israeli nationalism was qualitatively different from other kinds of nationalism. My only point is that it's qualitatively the same -- and condemnable when it translates into the racism and oppression that nationalism often translates into.

Clear enough?

-Here's an interesting piece that likens the BJP to Serb nationalism, -and Kashmir to Kosovo -<http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/2001/09/16/stories/1316017n.htm>. As I -recall, you supported bombing the Serbs over their exercise of -nationalism. Should we load up the B-52s and bomb Israel?

If you remember at the time, I was the one who explicitly compared the Palestianian situation to the Kosovo situation. And I fully support whatever threats needed to force Israel to withdraw from the West Bank and grant independence to the Palestinians. Of course, I don't support violence as the first resort, so the threat by the US to withdraw all economic or political support would probably be sufficient.

If it was politically feasible, would you support a vote to deploy UN troops in the West Bank against Israeli aggression?

I would.

Nathan Newman