[lbo-talk] response to Fitch on single-payer

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 8 13:14:19 PST 2006

John Lacny wrote:

>Nathan Newman:
>
>> So let's see -- various local unions -- which are the
>> ones who control the health care funds and benefit from
>> the supposed corruption Fitch discusses -- support
>> single payer health plans where they think it's
>> feasible, while the national SEIU office, which doesn't
>> control those health care funds directly, promote a
>> diversity of feasible proposals reflecting a national
>> organization operating in multiple states with different
>> politics.
>
>But Nathan! Fitch is truthy, not facty. That's what we like about him around
>here.

Yeah, I love people who just make shit up, as long as it sounds good. You've unmasked me!

What is this "feasible" bullshit anyway? Isn't it much better politics to make maximal demands, and hope for compromises along the way? If you start by muttering mealy-mouthed things about incremental change you're likely to get health savings accounts.

Doug