[lbo-talk] test icicles

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 9 08:15:42 PST 2006

just finished listening to their (test icicles) new album, featured on last week's edition of the radio show about economics & politics with best music, according to the village voice. In this case, I am in full agreement with that award--thanks for the tip, Doug.

I have no way to vouch for my musical taste, but I recommend the album (called "for screening purposes only"). There is a lot going on in it--definitely some punk, but also a lot of post punk, synthesizers, drum machines and usually a very good beat. Reminds me of "The Rapture" but with more hardcore singing AND consistent energy on it. They have this dual vocals (or vocalists?) thing working for them, a male version of sleater-kinney with one decidedly more gruff--bordering on grating--vocalist who leads on some tracks, peppers the more sonorous vocalist on others (and to some extent, vice versa).

I'm kind of a sucker for variety, which often makes me find an album or song better if there is a range to it. This album has that--sometimes even sounding like the more authentic punk to the pop version of the stuff coming from The Killers or The Faint, but I doubt any of it will get any air play. If I like it, I would venture to say that it isn't really authentic punk either (since I usually don't have the stamina for the stuff people who are worried about authenticity claim is authentic) but every song has some of those edgy (for pop anyway) gruff vocals and some really seem to shred some (death? black? speed? I never know) metal guitar; occasionally, the back and forth between the vocalists, coupled with the beat in the background, even borders on a hint of hip hop--but only in a pre-mike-patton-Faith No More way. Most also have a more melodic bridge-y section as well that make the other moments stand out. Haven't had a chance to really listen to the lyrics closely, but it seems a really nice effort. If nothing else, they do seem to be able to play their instruments in more than one way, which is commendable. A lot to chew on, for me anyway. I'll probably listen to it more than once this week, which, lately, is rare. Others may find it derivitive, but I claim no battle or victory on that front. For anyone else who has heard it, I'd be interested in hearing opinions.