[lbo-talk] citizens & SP

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 08:50:28 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote: >>My maximalist demand is that everyone in the country get decent health care coverage. Single payer is just one method and I don't fetishize means. At the moment, it looks like a piss-poor unlikely means to get to the real maximalist goals, so why support it. <<

Doug: >If the conservative movement had embraced this sort of strategy in the wake of Goldwater's massive loss in 1964, where might they be today?

>And...there's nothing stopping one from supporting incremental
reforms that promote a maximalist agenda. SEIU could say: "Our goal over the long-term is a universal publicly funded system. In the short term, we support any policies that promise to expand coverage, like the Maryland initiative. But we'll never lose sight of the ultimate goal." Of course they can't say that because they don't believe it. <

me: the most important question is whether or not a proposal or demand encourages people to get excited and involved in the process, beyond the usual suspects (lbo-talkers, union officials, professional politicians, etc.) -- Jim Devine

Bust Big Brother Bush!