[lbo-talk] The Modern Right in Europe

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Fri Feb 10 08:21:13 PST 2006

Hi,

I really agree with Yoshie on this one. The political right in Europe has splintered into several sectors, with the electoral extreme right playing the role Yoshie desribe below. The Neo-Nazis still attack Jews and gays, (along with immigrants), but the electoral parties have a much more respectable face.

See this English-language article by a scholar from Belgium:

http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v19n1/jamin_extreme.html

-Chip

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Yoshie Furuhashi Sent: Fri 2/10/2006 11:05 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] The Modern Right in Europe

> Sounds like Germany in the 30' to me. It's just enough that one of
> those is charismatic enough to make everybody walk the walk and
> talk the talk and kill the jew and the black and the gay and the rest.
>
> JC Helary

Things have changed since the 1930s. The modern far right's main targets in Europe are immigrants (not so much African as Middle- Eastern), neither Jews nor homosexuals. The cutting edge of the modern right are pro-gay, and the anti-immigrant discourse is presented as defense of Europe's Enlightenment from the sexist and homophobic Muslims who don't assimilate and yet tax the welfare state. In this context, occasional prosecutions of pathetic anti- Semites like Ernst Zundel (who denies the Holocaust _and_ believes in _UFOs_!!!) are solely for the purpose of providing the state's "anti- fascist credibility." Pym Fortuyn is the type of the modern far right vanguard who have helped to transform politics.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>