[lbo-talk] terrorist "threat"

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 08:28:53 PST 2006

saith the WaPo's SLATE" >The Wall Street Journal tops its world-wide newsbox with, and the Los Angeles Times off-leads, President Bush offering a few details about an apparently thwarted plot by al-Qaida in 2002 to fly a hijacked plane into L.A.'s tallest building. As happened when Bush made more general reference to the plot last fall, a few counter-terrorism officials were quick to cough and mutter, "bullsh*t." ...

>According to the president and then a proxy briefer, al-Qaida
recruited a handful of handful of Southeast Asian jihadi-types who trained to use a "shoe bomb" to get into a plane's cockpit. "As the West Coast plot shows, in the war on terror, we face a relentless and determined enemy," said Bush.

>The NY [Times] doesn't give the impression that the claims are
questionable. But the [Washington POST] says there's "deep disagreement within the intelligence community" over whether the plot was "ever much more than talk." The LAT takes an even dimmer view of the picture the president drew. Speaking about the purported plot, a U.S. counterterrorism "official" told the paper, "It didn't go. It didn't happen."

>That would jibe with what some insiders said after Bush alluded last
fall to the plot. A counterterrorism official told the Post back then, "It's safe to say that most of the [intel] community doesn't think it's worth very much." And the LAT cited "senior law enforcement officials" who "said authorities have not disrupted any operational terrorist plot within the United States" since 9/11." <

methinks that Bush deliberately "erred" to call the LA library tower (US Bank building) the "Liberty Tower," because of the propaganda value. It was an attack on liberty! Also, even if this plot actually occurred, it was foiled by the Indonesians, not by Bush's illegal wire-taps. But the point was to make the latter look permissable. -- Jim Devine

Bust Big Brother Bush!