[lbo-talk] RE:Bono & Bush

Jason Morris jamorris at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 10 08:35:45 PST 2006

As an "80s kid",I used to like some of U2's music, and I suppose I'll never get rid of my copy of 'War'. But everything after that album just seems like empty self-congratulatory dinosaur rock. Now they appear in iPod commercials, and Bono toured Africa with Bush's treasury secretary. Pathetic.

Seth's earlier post made think of this Bono quote from 2002:

"I see an America that has rehabilitated in a way that was unimaginable to me 10 years ago. Back then the US was the neighborhood bully, inept in the foreign policy, beating up on the wrong guy everywhere. With the Joshua Tree, we were writing about Central America and the dark side of the US. Now, America looks smart and dare I say it, sexy again".

Message: 4 Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 22:53:15 -0500 From: Seth Kulick <skulick at seas.upenn.edu> Subject: [lbo-talk] Bono & Bush To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Message-ID: <20060210035315.GL27779 at red.seas.upenn.edu> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Related to this:

Bono Must Be Stopped http://hollerif.blogspot.com/2005/11/bono-must-be-stopped.html

yeah, I know, he does good stuff. But the music is awful and he's unbearable.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/105/43.0.html

Christianity Today, Week of January 30

Bono, keynote speaker for the 54th National Prayer Breakfast at the Hilton Washington Hotel on February 2, urged American leaders to follow through with promises to aid the world's sick and impoverished. He lauded the audience of national and foreign government, military, and religious leaders for their efforts to fight AIDS and grant debt relief for Africa. But Bono also prodded them make harder sacrifices.

"After 9/11, we were told America would have no time for the world's poor. We were told that America would be taken up with its own problems of safety...But America has not drawn the blinds and double-locked the doors." Bono said. "You have doubled aid to Africa. You have tripled funding for global health. And Mr. President, your emergency plan for AIDS relief and support of the Global Fund, has put 700,000 people onto life-saving antiretroviral drugs and provided 8 million bed nets to protect children from malaria...But here's the bad news. There is so much more to do. There is a gigantic chasm between the scale of the emergency and the scale of the response."

[...] President Bush followed Bono to the podium and reaffirmed his thanks and respect for the faith of the American people. "Over the past five years, we've been inspired by the ways that millions of Americans have answered that call [to love your neighbor just like you'd like to be loved yourself]," Bush said. "After Katrina, volunteers from churches and mosques and synagogues and other faith-based and community groups opened up their hearts and their homes to the displaced. We saw an outpouring of compassion after the earthquake in Pakistan and the tsunami that devastated entire communities. We live up to God's calling when we provide help for HIV/AIDS victims on the continent of Africa and around the world." [...]

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/