[lbo-talk] Punitives and Attorney Pay

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 14:21:30 PST 2006

You're averaging data from people at high powered firms and from big schools who earn big money and the rest of lawyers, who do not. I'd be surprised if most my Ohio State classmateswere making more than $65K. Btw, a starting Public Defender or Asst State's Atty in Chicago makes around $30K, how do you like them apples? The ACLU pays more. It pays more to be a public school teacher in a poor district.

Anyway, even if most lawyers made $200,000 a year, they are still going be less likely to take contingency lawsuits most of which they are going to lose anyway if they are limited to fees and 1/3 of compensatory damages. Before you advocate deprivatizing punitives, just bear that in mind.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/005647.html