[lbo-talk] Punitives and Attorney Pay

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 16:31:24 PST 2006

Sorry for the last, incomplete post.

Years ago, in the 1990s, I recall seeing statistics about the average wages of lawyers in the State of California. I was shocked - it was way less than 30 k. The explanation being that many lawyers in this state don't work as lawyers or only do so part time. In California, at least, there are a surplus of lawyers. This is primarily due to the fact that the state allows unaccredited law schools.

It is hard to take seriously the claims of the lawyer bashers. Given the hurdles that have been imposed upon various forms of litigation, so of which are of recent origin (i.e., restrictions on medical malpractice cases) or which have been around a long time (i.e., the presumption of at will employment) a lot of lawsuits which should be brought, can't be.

Even worse is the rise of private, binding arbitration - which is essentially private justice, before retired judges, closed to the public and not subject to appellate review. Federal and state law favors binding arbitration. Increasingly, private, non union employers are imposing binding arbitration on their employees - to say nothing of HMOs and other companies that use it. Steve

-------------- Original message -------------- From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>

-------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060211/cb180c44/attachment.htm> -------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: srobin21 at comcast.net (Steven L. Robinson) Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Punitives and Attorney Pay Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:17:27 +0000 Size: 602 URL: <../attachments/20060211/cb180c44/attachment.eml>