[lbo-talk] Rabbi Michael Lerner using the Antisemitism card against the US Green Party

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 12:39:31 PST 2006

I expect little or nothing from Lernere, but I want to notice a peculiar infelicity here -- he accusing the Green's divestment demand of "smack[ing] of -_traditional_ Antisemitism." However, traditional Anrisemism portrays the Jews as infidels, greedy, cosmopolitan, rootless, pushy, sneaky, cunning, maybe committed to secret murder through well-poisoning or to human sacrifice at Passover, maybe cosnpiring secretly for world domination (the Protocals), maybe as rich capitalist moneybags and dangerous communists -- but not as brutally militaristic right wing discriminatory racist oppressors and imperialists. Thus if there were antisemitism involved with this campaign, it would not be traditional

http://www.jewishchronicle.org/issues/current/oped_opinions.htm
> [...]
> Gaza, does he not know that it was in direct
> response to US pressure
> that the Israeli government allowed the East
> Jerusalem Palestinians to
> vote in the January Palestinian Legislative Council
> elections?
>
> With that power to facilitate change comes the moral
> obligation to use
> that power for justice. That is not antisemitism,
> if anything, that IS
> an element of Jewish Ethics.
>
> Read this article by Gidon Levy from Ha'aretz,
> showing the potential
> power that the US government has in influencing
> Israeli policies and
> actions.
>
> It therefore also points to the importance of a
> strong US grassroots
> anti-Occupation activist base that will put pressure
> on its own
> government and the government of Israel, to end the
> Occupation and abide
> by international law.
>
> One main tool of this would be a campaign calling
> for divestment,
> boycott and sanction, on the basis of international
> law and the advisory
> opinion of the International Court of Justice.
> ---------------------
>

> http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/670233.html
>
> One little telephone call
>
> By Gideon Levy
>
> Good morning, America. You suddenly woke up and
> decided to pressure
> Israel to allow elections for the Palestinian
> Authority to be held in
> East Jerusalem? How noble of you. And how easy it
> was. One telephone
> call, two at the most, and Defense Minister Shaul
> Mofaz, a real "tough"
> guy, announced that Israeli was unconditionally
> surrendering. For
> months, Israel has been declaring that it absolutely
> opposes elections
> in Jerusalem, and here, with only an American
> telephone call, everything
> suddenly changes. The wolf Mofaz turned into a lamb,
> if not to say a
> chicken. Maybe you will finally understand that if
> you so desire, a
> broom can shoot and Mofaz surrenders; if the
> administration had really
> wanted, the occupation would already be behind us,
> and the Middle East -
> and the world in its wake - would look different.
>
> A dramatic change in this bleeding region, in the
> form of an end to the
> occupation, is only possible now if one of the
> following three
> conditions is met: an especially courageous Israeli
> leadership; another
> round of bloodshed, more terrible than the previous
> one; or a determined
> American administration. The likelihood of a bold
> Israeli leadership
> here seems very faint. The possibility of another
> round of bloodshed is
> very cruel. Thus, the third path remains. The

=== message truncated ===