[lbo-talk] Harlequin Queer Labor Romance

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 12 11:27:03 PST 2006

Jim wrote:

>> > ... "The trend is well established,'' says Richard Black,
>> associate vice chancellor of admission and enrollment at UC
>> Berkeley. "There are more women than men at most American colleges
>> and universities.''
>>
>> >The average student body across the country is 58 percent female,
>> according to B.J. Johnson, a woman who is dean of academic and
>> enrollment services at the University of San Francisco. ...<
>
> this may be related to the "new gender gap": as a percentage of the
> total, women are much more likely to read books than men are.
>
> One theory is that men's brains can't handle a book when there's a
> lighted screen (PC, game cube, TV, etc.) in the vicinity. But women
> ("natural multitaskers") can.

This just reminds me of my contention in the Great Hustler Debate at the end of last year: the primary audience of leftists are women, and leftist writers should try to appeal to women and get into "women's magazines," "women's genres," etc., rather than write for "men's magazines." After all, men's brains can't handle reading when there's a lighted screen -- or glossy pictures of big breasts and shaved vaginas -- in the vicinity.

Bitch | Lab said that Brokeback Mountain was more for straight women than for gay men. How about writing a Harlequin Queer Labor Romance for women? E.g., A romance might feature a sexy gay longshoreman who is a leader of his union, an evil bisexual boss who seeks to impose pay cuts and speedups on the union (while making unwelcome sexual advances to the gay longshore man), a rookie "straight" lawyer from a working-class family who goes on to work for a law firm on the corporate side but whose sexual awakening to his queer nature coincides with his rediscovery of his working-class roots. The lawyer becomes a labor lawyer and madly falls in love with the hunky longshoreman. The romance, in the true Harlequin fashion, ends with a strike victory and gay marriage!

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>