[lbo-talk] Harlequin Queer Labor Romance

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 12:00:11 PST 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Bitch | Lab said that Brokeback Mountain was more for straight women
> than for gay men. How about writing a Harlequin Queer Labor Romance
> for women? E.g., A romance might feature a sexy gay longshoreman who
> is a leader of his union, an evil bisexual boss who seeks to impose
> pay cuts and speedups on the union (while making unwelcome sexual
> advances to the gay longshore man), a rookie "straight" lawyer from a
> working-class family who goes on to work for a law firm on the
> corporate side but whose sexual awakening to his queer nature
> coincides with his rediscovery of his working-class roots. The
> lawyer becomes a labor lawyer and madly falls in love with the hunky
> longshoreman. The romance, in the true Harlequin fashion, ends with
> a strike victory and gay marriage!

I don't know whether it's fair to say that Brokeback was a girl movie. My male gay friends loved it and saw it several times. But as for the queer labor romance...that's a great idea. How about this one: the lawyer is sick in hospital and the romantic working class interest is his (gay) nurse, whose touch awakens him to health and more. The nurse is being exploited and harrassed by his born again Xtian female supervisor and the lawyer helps the nurse sue and win. You know, sex and revenge! Call it "Nurse Michael's Revenge." or "Hot Under the Sheets."

Joanna