[lbo-talk] union money

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 13 07:06:01 PST 2006

Michael wrote:

> MG: >I know union households in the US consistently vote DP.<
>
> they consistently vote DP much more than most, but there are
> exceptions too. (It's a statistical relationship.)
> Jim Devine
> <<<<<>>>>>
>
> although union members are more likely to identify themselves as
> dems than reps and labor unions are more likely to support dem
> candidates, reps have captured at least 40% of votes from union
> households in 8 of last 13 prez elections... mh
>
> union households voting republican for president (winner is listed
> first, sources: 1952-1996/congressional quarterly list based on
> national election studies, 2000-2004/cnn news election data)
> 1952 Eisenhower (R)/44% v Stevenson
> 1956 Eisenhower (R)/57% v Stevenson
> 1960 Kennedy v Nixon (R)/36%
> 1964 Johnson v Goldwater (R)/17%
> 1968 Nixon (R)/44% v Humphrey
> 1972 Nixon (R)/57% v McGovern
> 1976 Carter v Ford (R)/36%
> 1980 Reagan (R)/45% v Carter
> 1984 Reagan (R)/43% v Mondale
> 1988 Bush (R)/41% v Dukakis
> 1992 Clinton v Bush (R)/32%
> 1996 Clinton v Dole (R)/30%
> 2000 Bush (R)/37% v Gore
> 2004 Bush (R)/40% v Kerry

Michael, do you have racial breakdowns of union member votes for Democrats and Republicans? What have been proportions of white union members who voted for Republicans and what does the historical trend of their votes look like?

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>