[lbo-talk] Illinois as model for Democratic agenda

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Feb 13 08:12:09 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:
> Folks wonder why I think Democrats are a worthy political investment by
> unions and other progressives. Well, Illinois is one of the only large
> states with Democratic control of both statehouses and the governorship,
> so it's a good test of what Democrats really do when they have power.
> And the results have been pretty damn good in the last few years.

On the other hand, we have a solid understanding based on decades of American politics that the interaction between unions and Democrats have been disastrous for working people. This situation cannot be fixed or reformed. Working people won't be better off with just a divorce when unions refuse to spend money on organizing and fighting capitalism.

The Democrats are an utter waste of time and resources.

Chuck