[lbo-talk] Bernard-Henri Levy Agrees With Wojtek

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 09:48:04 PST 2006

Well, not precisely, but his excoriation of the US left seems to broadly share a thematic unity with the outline of Wojtek's analysis (that is, the US left as the fly-caught-in-amber artifact of long passed era).

Of course, BHL includes people on his list of lefties (for example, Hillary Clinton and John Kerry) who are perhaps better labeled using different, more rudely accurate words.

A Letter to the American Left

Bernard-Henri Lévy

...I cannot count how many times I was told there has never been an authentic "left" in the United States, in the European sense.

But at the end of the day, my progressive friends, you may coin ideas in whichever way you like. The fact is: You do have a right. This right, in large part thanks to its neoconservative battalion, has brought about an ideological transformation that is both substantial and striking.

And the fact is that nothing remotely like it has taken shape on the other side--to the contrary, through the looking glass of the American "left" lies a desert of sorts, a deafening silence, a cosmic ideological void that, for a reader of Whitman or Thoreau, is thoroughly enigmatic. The 60-year-old "young" Democrats who have desperately clung to the old formulas of the Kennedy era; the folks of MoveOn.org who have been so great at enlisting people in the electoral lists, at protesting against the war in Iraq and, finally, at helping to revitalize politics but whom I heard in Berkeley, like Puritans of a new sort, treating the lapses of a libertine President as quasi-equivalent to the neo-McCarthyism of his fiercest political rivals; the anti-Republican strategists confessing they had never set foot in one of those neo-evangelical mega-churches that are the ultimate (and most Machiavellian) laboratories of the "enemy," staring in disbelief when I say I've spent quite some time exploring them...

[...]

full at --

<http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060227/levy>

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/blog/

I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked. --- R. Chandler