[lbo-talk] "Hitler 'a Babe in Arms' Compared to Bush" - HugoChavez

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 15 08:34:48 PST 2006

Chip Berlet wrote:

> The use of "fascist" as an epithet is tiresome. I agree with Doug on this.
>
> Bush is an apocalyptic, messianic, authoritarian militarist and imperialist who supports the myth of a "Free Market," while pursuing a regressive social agenda that seeks to justify and expand privilege and power for the wealthy and straight white Christian men.
>
> An ugly agenda, with echoes from some of the same components found in fascism.
>
> But it is not fascism....

I agree. I would add that in terms of its longrange impact it is conceivably worse than fascism, insofar as fascism is a less stable but no more destructive state form than 'bourgeois' democracy' as it has been developing in the U.S. over the last 50 years. Surely the Bush-Clinton-Bush troika has destroyed more human lives worldwide than Mussolini and Franco combined ever touched. This may be what Chavez was aiming at, but I would regard it as a verbal error in him (or any other third-world liberation leader) but a serious error of analysis when considered as an element in political organizing in the 'first' world.

Carrol