[lbo-talk] Larry Summers on the academic hiearchy

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 09:39:45 PST 2006

> Markets are pretty complex, since they're about complex social interactions, but economists finesse that with a lot of math.<

yup.

> Didn't your old college roomie Paul Krugman say that bad economists get reincarnated as sociologists?<

I think he was joking, but it does reflect a very common attitude among economists. PK doesn't treat sociology with any respect, as far as I know.

George Akerlof is one of the few big-name economists who actually respects sociology (and anthropology). -- Jim Devine / Bust Big Brother Bush! "There are no whole truths; all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." -- Alfred North Whitehead