[lbo-talk] Lee's Garage

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 17 14:33:27 PST 2006

Bill Bartlett wrote:

>At 11:32 AM -0500 17/2/06, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>>And don't forget that this manager probably treats his (and it's
>>probably a man) subordinates like Scott treats him. That's one
>>difference between the pure working class and the mid-level manager
>>- a contradictory class position.
>
>Its is a difference, but not a class difference.

Why not? If class is about power, it sure seems like one to me. A Wal-Mart store manager can determine the hours and earnings of workers and decide on promotions. Of course he's subject to the same kind of control from those above him, but having any power over others is very different from being an hourly worker who just takes orders.

Doug