[lbo-talk] Lee's Garage

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Feb 17 14:51:25 PST 2006

At 5:33 PM -0500 17/2/06, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>Its is a difference, but not a class difference.
>
>Why not? If class is about power, it sure seems like one to me. A
>Wal-Mart store manager can determine the hours and earnings of
>workers and decide on promotions.

Can they? There are only so many positions into which they can promote employees and the discretion of a store manager is extremely limited insofar as determining wages. No doubt the mix of full-time and part-time employees is also regulated, if not explicitly by company policy then simply by practicality (commercial reality).

> Of course he's subject to the same kind of control from those above
>him, but having any power over others is very different from being
>an hourly worker who just takes orders.

Its different, but not a class difference. In the sense that the ruling class doesn't have to take orders from a boss. They don't have to work for a living. By definition the working class do have to.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas