[lbo-talk] Larry Summers on the academic hiearchy

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 15:53:05 PST 2006

--- Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> by the way, why does "rational" choice theory have
> to (1) assume that
> people are totally individualistic

It does, which is why people apply it to states, bureaucracies, classes, and other groups

and (2) assume
> that "tastes" --
> including the degree of individualism -- are
> "exogenously given" (by
> some act of God or Genes)?

Elster tried to incorporate modern cog sci insights about endogenousg preference formation into RCT in his early works Sour Grapes and Ulysses and the Sirens. Others have done likewise. Hobbes, btw, cleary thinks that preferences are subject to endogenous changes. However, for lots of purposes it is a useful abstraction to take preferences as given, doesn't change things much and simplifies the analysis.

For an alternative view,