[lbo-talk] 'The Price Of Post 9/11 Freedom' Files

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:53:28 PST 2006

Doug speculates on the improbable...

> Maybe they should all just become hippies & move to Santa Cruz. Though it's not too clear who all the hippies > could free-ride off, should everyone decide to drop out. No more computers, antibiotics, telephones...

(while the probable (fascism) becomes more & more likely by the moment)

All I can say Doug, please send more tourists... The last ones were Delicioussssss! (Now 'scuse me while I munch my bowl of organic handmade hippie granola...)

~~~~~~~

Airlines Losing More Luggage -- Is Security to Blame? 1 Million More Bags Went Missing Last Year Than in 2004 By KATIE SLAMAN

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/print?id=1632907

Feb. 17, 2006 — - If your bags went missing at the airport last year, you're far from alone.

Irate passengers filed more than 3.5 million missing-luggage claims in 2005, almost 1 million more than in the previous year. In total, U.S. airlines lost on average 10,000 bags a day last year -- the highest number of mishandled bags since 1990, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Among major U.S. airlines, U.S. Airways had the worst rate of lost luggage -- losing almost 10 bags per 1,000 passengers.

Delta Air Lines, now in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, lost more bags than any other carrier, with 573,419 lost-bag reports.

For travelers, the aggravation of losing an essential piece of luggage has become all too familiar.

When Scott Phillips flew to his wedding and honeymoon last December, his bag failed to arrive with him.

For the ceremony in the Turks and Caicos Islands, the Milwaukee resident wore his winter clothes in the beautiful 80-degree weather. Fortunately, his luggage arrived the next day. Phillips said he was just glad it was his luggage and not his fiancée's that went missing.

Increased Security or Industry Woes to Blame? According to the Department of Transportation, the jump in lost luggage was primarily due to an increase in the number of passengers, airline budget cuts, backed-up flights and tighter baggage inspections.

The Air Transport Association, an airline industry group, says the Transportation Security Administration is part of the problem. It claimed the airlines have less control over baggage handling.

"Bags are delayed in the security screening process, which has been a cause of baggage mishandling," said ATA Managing Director of Communications Victoria Day.

U.S. Airways attributes its luggage mishaps to its bankruptcy woes. Over the past four years, the airline has been in and out of bankruptcy and only recently exited Chapter 11.

U.S. Airways spokesperson Phil Gee said the company was in survival mode and lacked equipment and staffing. With the company now out of bankruptcy, Gee said the situation has improved.

"These problems will certainly be addressed and fixed," he said. U.S. Airways has already made improvements at Philadelphia International Airport, hiring 400 employees last November. Delta Air Lines, the third-biggest airline, is also looking ahead and hopes to improve its missing-luggage numbers in 2006.

"We expect there to be a significant change compared to 2005," says Delta Spokesperson Chris Kelly.

#33#