[lbo-talk] conversations with Orion (was: Socialim etc.)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 22 18:00:06 PST 2006

Chuck asked:

>Does this technology work for people who use
>it? People do have different ways of looking for information.

For a pleasant (and short) essay about just this read Carlo Ginzburg's "Conversations with Orion" Ginzburg is a marvelous historian and a great storyteller who concentrates as much on method as results.

Conversations with Orion by Carlo Ginzburg (Translated from the original Italian by Giovanni Zanalda)

Some years ago I wrote an essay on Voltaire that has appeared in the journal Quaderni Storici. While conducting the research for that essay, I performed a little experiment. I chose at random a passage from the beginning of Voltaire's Traité de métaphysique. The voice is that of a visitor from outer space who has landed on earth:

Descendu sur ce petit amas de boue, et n'ayant pas plus de notion de l'homme que l'homme n'en a des habitants de Mars ou de Jupiter, je débarque vers les côtes de l'Océan, dans les pays de la Cafrerie, et d'abord je me mets à chercher un homme. Je vois des singes, des éléphants, des nègres, qui semblent tous avoir quelque lueur d'une raison imparfaite.

For Voltaire and his readers every word of this passage was part of a web of references and associations of which we have only an imperfect knowledge. Perhaps, I thought, Orion­the online catalog of the UCLA library­could be of some help in identifying, at least in a conjectural way, the lesser-known elements of this web.

I decided to focus my inquiry by starting with a name from the passage­the least obvious name, Cafrerie. Because the subject of my essay was tolerance, which included Voltaire's attitude towards slavery, someone might object that in placing my bets on the name of an African country, I was playing with partially loaded dice. I agree, although, as we shall see, the experiment was to lead me in an unexpected direction. I told Orion "fnt Cafrerie" and "fkw Cafrerie"­that is, I asked it to find in the UCLA catalog books with the word "Cafrerie" in "title" or "author" (the field codes "fnt" and "fkw" meaning, respectively, "find name and title" and "find keywords"). In both cases there was no match for my search. I tried again, this time using the keyword "Cafres." I got 13 hits.....

rest at:

http://www.historians.org/Perspectives/Issues/2005/0505/0505arc1.cfm