[lbo-talk] math problem...

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Thu Feb 23 03:27:08 PST 2006

joanna wrote:

> Sorry, it's driving me crazy. Can anyone help with below.

> The equations I came up with don't seem to be right.

> Thanks,

> Joanna

> Boat can travel 5 times speed of current.

> It can travel 375 miles downriver in 1 hour more than it

> takes to travel 225 miles upriver. What is speed of boat

> in still water?

> r = speed of current

> t = time

> 375 = 6r ( t + 1)

> 275 = 4r (t)

Slip of the pencil; the second equation should be 225 = 4rt (this is probably where your problem comes from)

375 = 6r(t + 1) 225 = 4rt

multiply both sides of equation 1 by 2, multiply both sides of equation 2 by 3

750 = 12rt + 12r 675 = 12rt

subtract equation 2 from equation 1

75 = 12r

75/12 = r = 6.25

going back to equation 2

225 = 4rt = (4 * 6.25) t = 25t

225/25 = t = 9

check:

(6 * 6.25) * (9 + 1) = 37.5 * 10 = 375 OK 4 * 6.25 * 9 = 225 OK

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net