[lbo-talk] eminent domain

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Feb 23 13:08:15 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:
> But flat prohibitions on use of
> eminent domain is being used by mostly conservative state legislatures to
> restrict the urban planning powers of cities.

About fucking time!

Another example of how the liberals always manage to get on the wrong side of things.

One of my friends here in Kansas City--who was hit by a car last week--had his punk night club taken away from him when the city of Kansas City started seizing downtown properties to build a fucking sports arena that nobody wants. The Kansas City Star reports this morning that the final price tag on the arena will be $276 million (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13938804.htm), which is 10.4 percent higher than the original estimate. The city is building this arena with the help of the Anschutz Entertainment Group, which is run by Philip Anschutz, the Colorada billionaire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Anschutz) who also happens to be a huge right-winger (http://www.mediatransparency.org/story.php?storyID=97).

Corporate welfare for billionaires while parts of Kansas City are a ghetto wasteland of poverty and violence.

The arena doesn't even have any big professional sports teams to play in the arena. The odds of Kansas City getting an NBA franchise are long, given that Kansas City used to have an NBA team, didn't support it, and lost it. NHL? There are no hockey fans in Kansas City!

Kansas City just got an arena football team called the Brigade. The team's logo is a fucking B2 bomber. So, Kansas City is building a $276 million stadium for an arena football team?

Don't even get me started on the loopy plans to build a roof over Arrowhead Stadium so Kansas City can host ONE Superbowl.

Long live the Stray Cat!

Chuck0