[lbo-talk] eminent domain

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 23 14:02:14 PST 2006

> Jim:
> > from SLATE's news summary Feb. 22:
> > >State legislatures are considering limiting the government's power of
> > eminent domain following a June Supreme Court ruling that
> > established that local governments can seize condemned
> > private property to foster economic growth. Eminent domain
> > empowers cities to seize property for "public use," as well
> > as for developments such as malls, offices, and condos, all
> > provided the owner is fairly compensated. But fear of eminent
> > domain abuses has prompted states to consider several new
> > policies, such as banning the use of eminent domain for
> > economic development, making it harder to declare a
> > neighborhood "blighted," or forcing the government to pay
> > above market value when confiscating property.

This is yet another example of how reactionary the Left has become -

defending private property against public use. This is where I really part

with the Left altogether - I am not just for the eminent domain, but against

private land ownership altogether.

Also, I understand that eminent domain has been largely used against

absentee landlords aka slumlords who own run down property that creates

urban blight but as soon as they scent development they see an opportunity

for profiteering and refuse to sell waiting until prices go sufficiently up

so they end up with a hefty windfall. Of course, slumlords never appear to

the public in their own true selves, as ruthless profiteers - they usually

put forward a spokesperson, and old lady or some activistist wacko to create

an impression of 'da people' being 'oppressed' by the 'gummint.'

Wojtek

I thought this issue wasn't about the transfer of private property to public hands but the transfer of private property from one owner to another. Along the lines of saying "Your neighborhood sucks and would make the city more income if it were a theme park so we're giving to Disney and kick your ass out." Why wouldn't the left fight against this?

While in my head I love the idea of eliminating private land ownership I have a difficult time figuring out a way to do this without increasing inequality.

John Thornton