[lbo-talk] eminent domain

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Feb 23 15:52:42 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> -What I hate is flattening houses and -neighborhoods to make way for big boxes. It's, you know, wrong, even -if it's only Nathan's "rightwing" that agrees.

It's funny-- a thread starts with the question of whether state or federal law should be changed to gut local home rule powers, and Doug suddenly turns it around so that anyone who defends those home rule powers has to also be in favor of every abuse that might happen, when the point is that I'm defending the positive uses of eminent domain and not giving state legislators all control over local planning decisions.

Enlightened centralized decision-making is always better, as long as the center is completely enlightened. But do you really want to put your eggs completely in the basket of state legislative power?

Nathan Newman