[lbo-talk] Socialim [was: Cheery thought for the next 300 years

John Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 10:09:25 PST 2006

On 2/24/06, Andy F <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/24/06, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, wonder what this character could tell about me. I did the
> > indexes for Wall Street and After the New Economy, but of course
> > those are my own books, so the radar might not work right.
>
> Didn't that character say that authors shouldn't do indexes for their
> own work? Is that for real?

The best index I've ever used was to Douglas Hofstadter's _Goedel, Escher, Bach_, and he did it himself. Numerous times have I looked for a passage in that book with only an obscure reference, and the index almost always came through for me. (I can't think of a time it didn't.)

It's also fun reading in its own right, because the author put a bunch of inside jokes in it.

-- John S Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com "[O]nce the running of the state involves a permanent and massive shortage of historical knowledge, that state can no longer be run strategically." -- Guy Debord -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060224/e7894d4c/attachment.htm>