[lbo-talk] Gangbangers vs. Lynching Mobs

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 09:38:11 PST 2006

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> >Adjusted for changes in US population but unadjusted for changes in
> >proportion of Blacks, 40 lynchings in 1882 would be roughly
> >equivalent to 240 lynchings in 2003.

> Woj seems not to notice that lynching occurred in a context of
> systematic racial oppression. Gangbanging is awful, but gangs are
> what happen when people are marginalized and pissed on for a few
> centuries.

also, there is a causal link here. Lynchings were part of the process of marginalization that encouraged the poverty that spurs gang violence.

It should be noted in addition that much of the "black gang" violence is linked to the illegal drug trade (and is so like Prohibition-era gang violence). If I am not mistaken, the drug-dealing gang-bangers are largely subsidiaries of larger drug-distribution networks that are managed by non-slum-dwellers. -- Jim Devine / Bust Big Brother Bush! "There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality." -- Pablo Picasso