[lbo-talk] Chomsky's fan in Iraq

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Feb 25 10:25:45 PST 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Jonathan Schwarz was cited has aving blogged:

> http://www.tinyrevolution.com/mt/archives/000812.html
>
> Did you know Iraqi prime minster Ibrahim Jafari is a Chomsky admirer?
>
> Man, things are REALLY not going according to plan.

I think there's a lot less here than meets the eye; I think this quote was ripped from context and made a bit misleading. If you put it back in context, context, it looks more like Jaafari is citing the book to show off that he reads in English and understands how the West thinks -- and is inadvertantly showing off just how little he understands.

And while Kaplan found his cite surprising, he didn't think it meant much. The title of his article is "The case for staying in Iraq."

Here's the paragraphs where the quote appears:

<quote>

Another casualty has been the authority of Prime Minister Ibrahim

Jafari, whom the ministries routinely ignore. On the day the

preliminary results of December's elections were announced, Jafari

invites the election commissioners for dinner. The liberal activist

Mustafa Al Kadhimiy wrangles two invitations, and, as we wait at the

gate, Jafari's guards radio back and forth on their

walkie-talkies--signing off with what, even in Iraq, stands out as

religious phrasing: "Yes, believer." A concrete path leads to a

footbridge and then across a moat, winding around Jafari's villa until

it ends in a heated tent, which, Mustafa notes disapprovingly, is of

Iranian vintage. But it is Jafari's relations with Iraq, not Iran,

that most concern American officials here. Unlike his predecessor,

Iyad Allawi, Jafari has a reputation for being cerebral, detached,

and, most of all, weak.

His dinner guests look utterly exhausted. "The Sunni parties attack

us," explains chief electoral officer Adil Al Lami. "We receive

violence, assassination attempts." One commissioner seems to be on the

brink of a nervous collapse. But not Jafari. As the commissioners pick

at their kebobs, the prime minister announces that he has completed

one of Thomas L. Friedman's books. Have I read The Lexus and the Olive

Tree? As a television in the corner of the room conveys images of the

carnage outside, Jafari admits to being partial to the works of Noam

Chomsky. Why won't Chomsky come to Iraq? he asks. The commissioners

don't know what to say. And, apart from expressing doubts about a

Chomsky visit, neither do I. Later, asked if the prime minister

offered this line of conversation for the benefit of a visiting

American, a source close to Jafari responds, "No, this is how he talks

in public. No one understands what he is talking about. But

Iraqis--they like this. If they can't understand him, they think he

knows something." Indeed, Jafari has become well-known for delivering

inscrutable speeches that wander from Western philosophy to Arab

literature and back again, leaving even seasoned translators

perplexed. The confusion extends to his deliberations with the

Americans. "Today, with our current government," Jafari tells me, "we

tell the MNF [multinational forces] when to go. ... The MNF wait for

our orders." Yet, when pressed on his relationship with coalition

forces, Jafari sounds a more humble--and increasingly familiar--note.

"If they leave today," he says, "we would be defeated."

The full article is at:

And you can access it using cypherpunk.

Michael