[lbo-talk] Chomsky's fan in Iraq

Seth Kulick skulick at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Feb 25 10:26:28 PST 2006

> ------------------------------
> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:05:05 -0500
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: [lbo-talk] Chomsky's fan in Iraq
> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>
>
> At 7:08 PM -0600 2/24/06, Jonathan Schwarz wrote:
>
> >Did you know Iraqi prime minster Ibrahim Jafari is a Chomsky admirer?
> >
> >Man, things are REALLY not going according to plan.
> >
> >http://www.tinyrevolution.com/mt/archives/000812.html

Too bad the full New Republic article with the Chomsky bit isn't on their website.

What will Hitchens' reaction be?

1. Horror that the Iraqi prime minister is "partial to the works" of someone soft on fascism.

2. The very fact that the U.S. let the Iraqi prime minister be someone who is a Chomsky admirer demonstrates, once again, as with the disbanding of the army, that the US is now acting differently than in the past and we are on the side of democracy in Iraq.

3. not a word about it.

I vote for 3, which is reasonable - it's amusing but not the most important news in the world. But 2 is a definite possibility.

nothing on this yet on Harry's Place, normblog, or (aarggh) Oliver Kamm's site.