[lbo-talk] Religious vs National struggles...

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Feb 25 21:26:46 PST 2006

Good article by Avnery http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20060224&fname=uri&sid=1&pn=1

One of our former Chiefs-of-Staff, the late Rafael ("Raful") Eytan, who was not the brightest, once asked a foreign guest: "Are you Jewish or Christian?"

"I am an atheist!" the man replied.

"Okay, Okay," Raful demanded impatiently, "but a Jewish atheist or a Christian atheist?"

Well, I myself am a 100% atheist. And I am increasingly worried that the Israeli-Palestinian struggle, which dominates our entire life, is assuming a more and more religious character.

The historical conflict began as a clash between two national movements, which used religious motifs only as a decoration.

The Zionist movement was non-religious from the start, if not anti-religious. Almost all the Founding Fathers were self-declared atheists. In his book "Der Judenstaat", the original charter of Zionism, Theodor Herzl said that "we shall know how to keep (our clergymen) in their temples." Chaim Weitzman was an agnostic scientist. Vladimir Jabotinsky wanted his body to be cremated - a sin in Judaism. David Ben-Gurion refused to cover his head even at funerals.

[snip] -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060225/e8f5f16e/attachment.htm>