[lbo-talk] "Why I Published Those Cartoons"

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 22:58:11 PST 2006

Mike Ballard wrote:
> Her er en artikel fra www.jp.dk, som en ven har ønsket at gøre dig
> opmærksom på.
>

> Se artiklen
> "Why I Published Those Cartoons"
> på :
> http://www.jp.dk/udland/artikel:aid=3566642:fid=11328

From aforementioned article:

One cartoon -- depicting the prophet with a bomb in his turban -- has drawn the harshest criticism. Angry voices claim the cartoon is saying that the prophet is a terrorist or that every Muslim is a terrorist. I read it differently: Some individuals have taken the religion of Islam hostage by committing terrorist acts in the name of the prophet. They are the ones who have given the religion a bad name. The cartoon also plays into the fairy tale about Aladdin and the orange that fell into his turban and made his fortune. This suggests that the bomb comes from the outside world and is not an inherent characteristic of the prophet. <...>

This is more nonsensical than my own posts are claimed to be.

Is this guy stoned stoooopid, or "touched in da haid"? (at this point in his life serious prescription tranquilizers are a possibility. Which might explain why he "read(s) it differently. Drugs do that.)

The image is of a caricatured muslim with a bomb in his turban. There's no indication of any *one* individual (or for that matter any specific group) being portrayed BY the caricature (UBL or AQ on the turban f'rinstance) and he's trying to say it only applies to "terrorists". He's lying, or he's a moron if he expects anyone to believe it besides other morons or tranquilized people (and there are millions of them in the US alone).

He's the one that "...plays into the fairy tale". But telling this one can only make it worse.

Leigh www.leighm.net http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/