[lbo-talk] hoteliers in Harlem

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 26 12:29:22 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>What I'm trying to figure out is whether Doug thinks it's a horrible thing
>that Harlem is actually getting some economic help?

This is a sleazy rhetorical technique. Because I think it's odious that the state is pushing to gentrify Harlem, thereby causing the displacement of scores of thousands of poor people, I'm against "economic help" for the neighborhood; because I think people who object to using eminent domain to enrich private developers, I'm in favor of some right-wing libertarian free-for-all a la Houston. But I guess that's what you've got to do when you don't have any evidence to offer.

Doug