[lbo-talk] hoteliers in Harlem

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 26 12:21:07 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>What I'm trying to figure out is whether Doug thinks it's a horrible thing
>that Harlem is actually getting some economic help?

The piece of land called Harlem is getting economic "help": upscaling is being subsidized and otherwise promoted by the city and state governments. The people Harlem, well, a lot of them will have to move elsewhere. As the column in the old Guardian used to say, That's Capitalism! It's either poverty or gentrification, with little in between in the big city.

Doug