[lbo-talk] Malcolm Gladwell puts his faith in healthcare 'market innovations'

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 07:31:45 PST 2006

*New Yorker* staff writers Adam Gopnik and Malcolm Gladwell debate health care: specifically, the comparative strengths and weaknesses of the US and Canadian systems.

It's long but educational for its illumination of the core American argument - expressed with what seems to be dispassionate passion by Gladwell - for why the US' system is not only NOT in crisis but, indeed, superior because of the level of "innovation" displayed and the profile of the uninsured (mostly the young, the fit and the male, Gladwell insists).

Health Care Forum Canada Vs. U.S.

By Adam Gopnik and Malcolm Gladwell

Adam Gopnik:

I have lived under three different medical regimes: Canada, the United States, and France. I have been seriously sick under all three regimes and had many family members with similar experiences.

My wife's sister had a very, very premature baby born in Edmonton six years ago, the kind of baby who normally lives in about 20 percent of cases--and they had eight months of intensive care. I mean really intensive care. And the baby ended up living. It was a pound and a half at birth, the smallest baby that survived in western Canada in that year. The one thing they never thought about, the one thing they never considered, the one thing they never had to pay a moment's attention to was: How much will this cost? When does our insurance run out? It simply was not in the agonizing equation of worry and concern that they had to face. That seems to me, in itself, the most powerful argument you can make for socialized medicine, to put it in the bluntest possible terms.

Malcolm Gladwell:

It's interesting, because my own personal experience... We'll start with the anecdote. When I was 16, I was working 12-hour shifts as a dishwasher. I was biking home one night in the dark and something happened and I ran off the road and I basically impaled my eye on a stick. I was unconscious for several hours, came to, biked home. When I woke up the next morning, my right eye had essentially... The pupil had come out of the socket. A huge swelling. I went to the doctor. The doctor examined me and sent me home. The swelling didn't go down.

[...]

full at --

<http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2000/0003.gladwellgopnik.html>

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/blog/

When experiments were made with very weak light hitting photomultipliers, the wave theory collapsed[...]This state of confusion was called the 'wave/particle duality' of light.

Richard Feynman