[lbo-talk] Malcolm Gladwell puts his faith in healthcare 'market innovations'

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Mon Feb 27 08:09:20 PST 2006

On 2/27/06, Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> *New Yorker* staff writers Adam Gopnik and Malcolm
> Gladwell debate health care: specifically, the
> comparative strengths and weaknesses of the US and
> Canadian systems.

[...]

Posting this is kinda unfair, because the debate took place six years ago, and Gladwell announced on his blog this past weekend that he had changed his mind:

In our debate, Adam vigorously defended the Canadian system, and I attacked it. But wait! That was six years ago! I've now changed my mind. I now agree with virtually everything Adam said and disagree with virtually everything I said. In fact, I shudder when I read what I said back then.

http://gladwell.typepad.com/gladwellcom/2006/02/gladwell_v_gopn.html

and:

Why have I changed my mind? Some of my reasons are in the piece on moral hazard I wrote for the New Yorker last summer.

The bigger reason is simply that I woke up one day and realized what much smarter people than me (Adam Gopnik) realized a long time ago, which is that the idea of employer-based health care is just plain stupid--and only our familiarity with it and sheer inertia prevent us

http://gladwell.typepad.com/gladwellcom/2006/02/gladwell_v_gopn_1.html

Kevin Drum has also blogged this: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2006_02/008302.php

--

Colin Brace