[lbo-talk] No Republican adoptions

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Feb 27 11:16:53 PST 2006

This is a funny, great response which we highlighted over at the PLAN website: http://www.progressivestates.org/blog/89/banning-republican-adoption

But the heartbreaking part of this is that 20,000 kids go into the foster care system EACH YEAR and will NEVER be adopted, but will "age out" at 18 and be dropped onto the streets with no one there for them. And as my wife represents kids in foster care fighting fucked up state systems, I hear the daily horror stories of kids being raped and abused in institutional and foster care settings, not getting basic health exams, and everything you can imagine -- except it's worse than your imagination in many states.

So that number -- 20,000 kids each year who will NEVER be adopted is a key thing to mention when the rightwing argues for keeping a kid in foster care rather than allowing a gay parent to adopt. They are basically saying they'd rather see the kid kicked to the curb at 18 than let them find a loving home.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at verizon.net>

A man after my own heart:

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/13950130.htm

But if they can't adopt, why allow them to breed?