[lbo-talk] Renters Getting Screwed - or Why Eminent DomainisaDistraction

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Feb 27 12:03:49 PST 2006

Nathan:

> Stripping local governments of power is the the rightwing idea, not
> criticism of eminent domain per se, criticisms which I said
> had validity in
> some cases, but piling onto the rightwing campaign RIGHT NOW
> where the
> options are these state bills is a rightwing intervention in
> the debate.

Is not that the way they got rid of rent control in Cambridge, MA? They first tried that with the city government, but failed, so they turned to the state legislation and outlawed it state-wide. AFIK, that displaced more residents (mostly renters) and small businesses in shorter period of time than ED could ever accomplish.

I also understand that they tried the same thing in NY with that real estate mouhtpiece Pataki, but Giulliani balked as this was primarily targeting NYC.

Wojtek