[lbo-talk] Joseph Weydemeyer; Engels supplied the North cannon through Weydemeyer ?

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Tue Feb 28 11:29:18 PST 2006

>>> cbrown at michiganlegal.org 02/28/06 11:59 AM >>>
Micheal, I'd say above is surely a big piece of credible evidence contradicting your claims that Marx didn't write to Lincoln. You are the one who is "stretching it" in the face of a pretty significant piece of documentary evidence. If Marx wrote Lincoln here, it makes it more "credible" that he had written him before. CB: The point is that Marx wrote to Lincoln, and this proves it. That's a big step from yesterday's discussion. Lincoln was pretty intelligent. He probably had read Marx's Tribune articles, and probably was familiar with his name. Lincoln probably knew that Marx and Engels had organized British workers' opposition to British support for the South. That was a very important strategic event. Surely, the U.S. ambassador to England informed the White House about the British Workers opposing British support for the South, when this refraining was against the immediate economic interests of the British workers. CB: Yea, well I recall reading that Marx and Engels corresponded with Lincoln about the war. And I read a lot of Marx and Engels too. So where does that get us. CB: More grist for the mill. <<<<<>>>>>

i wonder if anyone on this list cares a whit about this stuff, but one last comment...

you say 'marx wrote to lincoln', but the document in question was message of congralutions signed by 57 central council members on behalf of the international working men's association for which marx wrote the draft, and how does the this letter make it more credible that marx had previously written lincoln...

if i write to you, i say 'dear charles' or 'dear mr. brown', i sign off with 'cordially respectfully yours', michael or 'sincerely', michael hoover, and text of my letter includes me saying 'i this' and 'i that', in other words, *i* write to you...

above is very different from me writing draft of letter which is approved and signed on behalf of 'curmudgeon tendency' by carrol, yoshie, me, and whomever else may jump on board, and then sent to you, *i* have not written to you in this instance...

to best of my knowledge, we have no evidence that karl marx wrote to abraham lincoln in manner i've described - 'dear abe', 'yours truly, karl'...

as for marx calling adams' reply to the international correspondence 'lincoln's response', that may be no more than the wishful thinking that your comments convey when you write that lincoln 'probably' read marx's tribune articles, that he 'probably' knew marx's name (btw: didn't engels lament somewhere about marx's relative anonymity at the time of his death), and that lincoln 'probably' knew that m&e organized opposition to british support for confederacy... mh