[lbo-talk] Renters Getting Screwed - or WhyEminentDomainisaDistraction

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 11:42:50 PST 2006

Wojtek:

Actually, I am working with a version of urban renewal projects that I know from my own experience in Baltimore - the demolition of slums and building of new housing and retail that did benefit both the former slum dwellers and the public in general. I can even offer a tour of Baltimore to show these new developments and describe what was there before. AFIK, every single one of these projects received extensive public hearings, there was a lot of opposition mostly of the NIMBY variety but also public input that was implemented in these projects, none of the former residents were kicked into the street, in fact all of them were provided with alternative housing and moving cost reimbursements. I also know for the fact that many residents were actually happy with the development because it offered them a real chance of moving out of the tenements - albeit there were also a few vocal malcontents who made ruckus no matter what was said and by whom.

I appreciate the comprehensiveness of your reply and understand how and why your experiences in Baltimore inform your opinions on this matter.

Needless to say, the success of development projects in Baltimore doesn't tell the whole tale of the current state of things in the US (never mind, for a moment, urban renewal's checkered history). Also, (accepting, for the sake of argument, your interpretation) the fact that NIMBY adversaries of development have bedeviled your efforts doesn't mean all objections are motivated by luddism, lefty romanticizing of, to quote you, "da people" and other delusions.

I agree with you that a visit to Baltimore is essential for a fuller understanding of urban development's impact there. I'd expand this to say that before you condemn critics of situations in other cities as being "Luddites", a bit of humility - an acknowledgment of the size of the country and the ways local trends and conditions may differ from what you know - is strongly suggested.

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/blog/

Quantum mechanics is the coolest thing ever invented, ever.

Sean Carrol, physicist