[lbo-talk] Re: Liza & Doug have a kid

divinegracie at earthlink.net divinegracie at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 2 11:52:02 PST 2006

> Oh yes. Couldn't have been anywhere else. I was by far the most unskilled
> labor in the room, so mostly I watched - but it's inexpressibly glorious
> to watch a tiny human emerge from someone you love.
>
> Doug

Yep -- blows my mind every time I'm privileged to attend one. The original divison of labor: women have babies, men don't. (Everything else in labor theory is up for grabs.) Birth is the most numinous, sacred event there is, and it happens everywhere: refugee camps, high tech hospitals, in taxicabs. I think the fact that women can create entire new human beings in their bodies, and unadulterated fear of and resentment of that fact by men, is the foundation of repression and demonization of women across the world in all historical epochs.

The dog-religions stole the act of creation from women then demonized women for being unclean because they bleed and have babies. Xty stole creation and birth from women and reversed the symbols, the blood and water, &c, erased women and the female from creation, against all human experience and common sense.

Wouldn't this world be a much happier and productive place if social and economic policies put women and children's needs front and center, instead of the military, corporate, capital, and male needs? I doubt such a utopia ever existed (outside the imaginations of a few radical feminist idealists). If men could have babies, they sure as hell would be. (And abortion would be a sacred event.)

Grace midwifery student, Yale School of Nursing, class 2008

PS: You didn't mention the labor and delivery nurses, who were most likely at your bedside the entire time, whle the OB probably just showed up in time to catch the baby! And you may have been the technically less skilled person in the room, but the most important person present, as Liza's partner and FOB.