[lbo-talk] Liza & Doug have a kid (Advice...don't bounce!!!!)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Jan 2 12:02:48 PST 2006

John Adams wrote:
> Congratulations! This is an insane venture, you know--I speak as a
> 47-year-old with a two-year-old daughter--but you haven't let that stop
> you, and that makes me proud to know you.
>
> Now, I have something complementary, or possibly orthogonal, to Bryan's
> advice--this: http://www.babyhammocks.com/ was a lifesaver for us. It
> truly did rock the baby back to sleep automatically. It also travels
> easily--no worse than carrying an electric guitar and easy to set up
>
> It's not too expensive--I believe ours came from eBay for about
> $150--cheaper than a crib, and durable--ours is currently passed on to a
> friend.
>
> All the best,
>
> John A

I add my congratulations to everyone else's and throw in a bit more unsolicited advice. (You knew all of us parents would pipe up with advice about childrearing, right? We're like the stereotype of the nosy inlaws--but we're legion!) I slept with my kids until they were two or three. Especially if mom is breast feeding, this is just so much more convenient than putting an infant in a crib or a hammock (nobody has to get out of bed!). Also, cuddling with a baby is one of life's greatest joys. Newborns sleep a lot, so you still need some type of hammock or crib, but cuddle up at night (or during naps; you'll need them!). Best of luck.

Miles