[lbo-talk] Sleeping with the kids

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Tue Jan 3 07:09:55 PST 2006

waaaaaaaaaaaaah. like women haven't asked to be ready when they might not be? gimme a break. as for knocking on the nuclear family, I remember reading a lot about the history of the family in a course -- voila! by that name. I said to my tutor, boy, wouldn't these alternatives ways of raising children be a great idea.

Then he started asking me what I'd be willing to give up. How much privacy would I be willing to give up to live in connected pod homes. How much spontaneity in terms of menu planning or whether to eat in or out? Yadda Yadda. How much time would I be willing to devote to planning life together with, say, 15 other people -- since it would take planning. How much would I be willing to hand over in terms of collective decisions about proper child rearing, whether to use cloth or disposable, what kind of food to eat, what kind of detergent to buy, whether you go barefoot in the house or not, etc. etc.

Also, it never failed, in every fem. theory class, someone would talk about how they'd like to assist single moms with the tasks f raising kids, since as a couple they'd decided not to have kids. They wanted to put into practice the old "it takes a village...."

Great, I'd say. No one ever got off their ass to help. When we did try to create cooperatives, no one wanted to go to the bother. To much time planning. to much thought had to be put into it. To inconvenient because you might have to shift your schedule to accommodate the coop.

I'm not saying they were wrong, just that, for all the bitching about the nuclear family, I'm guessing most people wouldn't give it up. There are plenty of ways to do so, especially near college towns.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org