[lbo-talk] Caviar

jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Jan 3 08:10:36 PST 2006

> I have no idea. I think it comes from the Caspian. A
> piece of bread covered with butter and caviar in the
> cafeteria at the Bolshoi Theater costs about a dollar.

It seems unlikely that in this day someone would sell caviar at the Bolshoi for less than they could get elsewhere. Are you sure it's sturgeon they are serving? There are lots of roe that are much cheaper, obviously.

I google'd around a bit and have seen the sandwiches at the Bolshoi described as being "pink" -- which would make them probably salmon, not sturgeon. Salmon roe is cheap in the US, too, as is lumpfish roe. Sturgeon roe is expensive because that fish takes forever to grow and it has been over-fished to the point of extinction.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Publications/ZooGoer/2001/3/sturgeonandcaviar.cfm