[lbo-talk] West Virginia Miners

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 10:14:55 PST 2006

--- Leigh Meyers <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote:

> What to say?
> That America is a voyeur at some other prole's wake?

Yes, unfortunately that is what it will probably be. Rather than focusing on the fact that the accident could probably have been prevented if there had been a union to keep things in check, it is being turned into another human tragedy fest. Hey Geraldo "I used to be a liberal" Rivera is there. So is the egregious Rita Cosby. President Bush has already sent his "heartfelt" condolences. It probably wont get the airtime of the Nathalie Holloway story, but we will get a week of feeling good about ourselves because we have the humanity to feel sorry for the victims' families. Maybe there will be some fund created that we can contribute to. Score. The clamor will, I fear, be over the miscommunication than the actual conditions in the mine that led to the accident.

I was heartened to hear that some of the family members tried to attack the boss after he gave his speech last night. It would be nice if someone there would tell Geraldo to stick his microphone up his ass.

Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen. Westvirginians usually feel neglected by the rest of the nation or the butt of incest jokes. They will soak up the attention.

-Thomas

"...everytime we move it ahead, it's thrown back. But the base camp has been made, and the next wave will come and find your wreckage, and they'll be encouraged to go beyond that."

-Timothy O'Leary

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com