[lbo-talk] Unioninization [was: West Virginia Miners

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 20:26:05 PST 2006

--- Bitch | Lab <info at pulpculture.org> wrote:

> how did identity politics get into anything?

You mentioned service workers identifying themselves against other kinds of workers - industrial or professional - you also mentioned gender and race - that is all identity politics.

and did
> I say that union
> opposition or support was involved?

The leading theme was social obstacles to unionization - you responded with the examples of various groups of workers identifying themselves vis a vis other groups of workers - which often is an obstacle to unionization. If you think it is not, why did you mention that in this context?

if you read the
> book and then read
> Dorothy Sue cobble's book, it all makes quite a bit
> of sense: the
> connections between micro-meso-macro levels of
> social structures. But, I
> don't have time to pontificate at length for people
> who won't read it anyway.

I presume this was meant to be an invective, so th eonlt proper reponses would be to either ignore it it or respond in kind - and I opt for the former - but I have a question about the premise of that invective, namely that I am somehow a bad person becaouse I did not read a book that you did.

There are tens of thousands of titles published every year in this country alone, so even if one did nothing in one's entire life but read, one would not be able to read all those titles, not even most of them. Since one does other things in life than reading, the share of all the titles that one can rea is further reduced. So it is quite obvious that th eonly rational way to deal with this information glut is to be selective, and being selectiv emeans having a prior reason to pick this book over that one.

Now comes the question. What would be the reason for me to spend my time and forego other things (including reading other books) to read the book that you mention? What would I gain that you did not convey in your argument based on that book?

Wojtek

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com