[lbo-talk] A Case for a Higher Gasoline Tax

jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Jan 10 09:56:12 PST 2006

> Higher gas taxes, however, could be rebated through an
> income tax credit for the lower brackets.

Are you a big fan of taking with the right and giving back with the left? I've always thought that was a lousy way to redistribute; I've read that in poor neighborhoods you often get about $0.60 of service for $1 of taxes. The temptation to just keep the money would probably be too great -- and we're talking about cash-flow, not some nebulous number at the end of the year, especially for people who already don't pay taxes and often find credits to be worth less than you'd think.