[lbo-talk] A Case for a Higher Gasoline Tax

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 10 10:00:13 PST 2006

jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com wrote:

> > Higher gas taxes, however, could be rebated through an
>> income tax credit for the lower brackets.
>
>Are you a big fan of taking with the right and giving back with the left?

No, but the idea is to use price to change behavior. I realize we've got a chicken and egg problem, but you've got to start somewhere. With a fat gas tax that largely spared the bottom 50%, the economics and politics of transportation would change a lot.

I realize it's an enormous problem, but you've got to start somewhere. Where would you start?

Doug