[lbo-talk] Minutemen National Campaign Fizzles

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 11 10:12:49 PST 2006

Wojtek - Perhaps you are right. However, the underlying editorial makes the point that the U.S. public is ambivalent about immigration - uneasy about unrestricted immigration to be sure, but not comfortable with the overt/covert xenophobia of the Minutemen and also recognising that immigrants have a role to play in the economy.

I think you are wrong about "bad media coverage" keeping potential turnout low for Minutemen events. Bad press doesn't seem to hold down numbers at events for Operation Rescue or other religious right outfits, nor does it seem to hold down attendance at such things as anti-war rallies. Aside from the Houston Chronicle and publications like the LA Weekly - not much read by Minutemen supporters anyway- it is not clear that the press coverage has been all that bad for them. SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>