[lbo-talk] communist witches were not spectral

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Sat Jan 14 09:17:00 PST 2006

Doss

--- Charles Brown wrote:

> I'd say those nine witches were probably
> progressives for their time and > place. I'm pro-witch in general ,myself.
I favor the witches over the> powers-that-be in Salem. Weren't those witches> feminists, women's liberationists ?

Chris Doss: No, they weren't. They weren't witches at all (in any sense). Moreover, a quarter of those killed were men, including Salem's ex-minister, who was believed to be the leader of the coven.

I was under the impression that the girls who started the whole thing were doing it for the attention. That's the impression I get from reading their depositions against Sarah Goods, which I paste their below (God how I wish they had spell-checkers in the 17th century -- I know spelling has changed but this is internally inconsistent). Evil semi-literate scumbags.

(Elizabeth Hubbard v. Sarah Good)

The Deposistion of Elizabeth Hubbard agged about

-clip-

^^^^^^ CB: Well, "feminists" is an exaggeration on my part just like "withches" is tongue in cheek.

However, why didn't they call them warlocks ? Still sounds like an anti-woman mentality, consciousness, some kind of misogynist expression from that historical period. The transcripts below don't contradict the interpretation of the events as anti-feminine. The little girls couldn't have started anything if the adults didn't believe in witches as some form of evil expression of feminiity.